Backend Engineer - Manchester
Depop is the shopping community where the world’s creatives come to buy, sell, discover and explore the most inspiring and unique items. We’re on a mission to build our platform into one of the most vibrant, inspiring and creative communities in the world.
Our HQ is based in London and we have spaces in Milan, NYC and LA. As our community continues to grow, we’re on the hunt for a Backend Engineer, to be one of the first employees in our Manchester office, working on the API of the app. With millions of users, and only a relatively small engineering team, Depop is a fantastic place for engineers who love to solve interesting problems that come with high growth.
- Write and maintain the services and APIs that allow our apps and website to support 50,000+ active users per hour and 200,000+ requests per minute
- Work closely with product owners, designers, front-end developers and other backend developers both in Manchester and remotely with the London team
- Produce code which is well-structured, thoroughly tested, and simple to understand
- Embrace agile methodologies
- Collaborate with fellow developers to product high quality code
- Demonstrable experience writing high quality code in a modern backend language (at the minute we use Scala, Python, Ruby and Node)
- Experience building and running modern REST-based, service-oriented, distributed architectures, ideally at scale
- Degree level CS knowledge
- Experience with at least one major RDBMS (ideally Postgres)
- Experience with Web or API frameworks such as Django, Play Framework would be a plus
- Experience with message queues such as RabbitMQ would also be a plus