Depop is the most fun way to buy and sell straight from your pocket. It’s social, it’s unique, and it’s growing. We have an international team of 85 with our HQ in London, and teams in New York and Milan.
We’re backed by some of the most prestigious VC’s in the industry and are now growing our Engineering team in London.
We are looking for Android engineers eager to produce the most evocative buying and selling experience possible. You have a real passion for the Android platform and keep up-to-date with the latest developments at Google IO, MWC, and on the Android developer blog and Google+ communities. You live and breathe Material Design and strive to get as many Delightful Details into your apps as possible so that users want to play with different screens; just to see what happens. If you're based in London, you probably regularly attend Londroid meet-ups and Droidcon. You may even have a blog and some github projects that you share with the wider Android developer community to tell the world just how great you are. You can give constructive feedback on designs that you feel are too iOS centric or don't exploit the Android framework in the most efficient way and are happy to meld minds with our designers to produce some amazing results.
Depop is a fantastic place for engineers who love to solve interesting problems that come with the high growth we've continually seen. We love to welcome new people into the team and look forward to meeting people who take pride in doing a great job. At Depop you'd be a big part of helping us create a huge social marketplace and, of course, have a lot of fun along the way.
- Design and implement new user-facing features in the Depop app
- Work closely with the design, product management and backend teams to ensure that new features are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Write unit tests and instrumentation tests and integrate them into our CI environment to ensure the quality of code going forward.
- Refactor existing code to leverage the latest developments in the Android framework.
- Optimise the performance of the app to ensure that we have a minimum memory, CPU and data footprint.
- Educate the Depop family on the engineering challenges faced when supporting a wide range of devices with varying screen sizes, orientations and densities.
- Maintain a healthy curiosity towards other Android apps and champion ideas on what we can do to make the Depop Android app better.
- Ensure that our localisation efforts support introduction to new countries.
- Help make our app support tablets and orientation changes properly in the future.
- Integration of new SDKs when required within the app.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 1+ years of Android and Java programming with the responsibility for shipping at least one well regarded Android application.
- Technical knowledge of mobile application development in Android with experience producing apps that feature a fast, consistent and non-blocking user experience.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and multi-threading.
- Experience in consuming a RESTful API.
- Heavy utilisation of the Android support and design libraries.
- Understanding of the different components with the Google Play services libraries.
- Knowledge of image downloading and caching libraries such as Picasso or Glide.
- Understanding of Retrofit for ease of integration with Http requests.
- Continuous Integration and automated testing preferably using Espresso and JUnit.
- Use of the new data-binding framework, Android Architecture, Dagger and RxJava.
- Working knowledge of Kotlin
- Understanding of ProGuard and Gradle to ensure that our build tools deliver the correct result.
We are looking for someone who
- Loves working in a creative and dynamic environment.
- Values collaboration with product owners, designers, other developers etc.
- Wants to make an impact every single day.
- Takes pride in producing high quality software.
- Enjoys learning and sharing knowledge with people around them.
- Is a self-starter, takes initiative and loves to tackle challenging problems.
- Embraces agile methodologies.
Now we're talking. We have stylish offices near Old Street (we were founded in Italy after all) and a relaxed atmosphere where you'll get to work with a well-funded, passionate and friendly team. There are perks of course, to name a few we have 25 days holiday, options to buy/sell more, apple discount, the regular snacks and drinks, parties, yoga, meditation, an enhanced UK pension scheme, beer and wine in the fridge (or sparkling water and celery if that's more your thing), special stuff on birthdays and life events and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we deeply care about.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.