Depop’s purpose is to empower creative minds. We’re creating the world's most innovative platform, and we’re putting it into the hands of the unfollowers. We’re the place for our community to discover, connect with and inspire one another and where creative minds can become entrepreneurs. We’re a community of over 8 million and we’re growing our team of 85 headquartered in London, with spaces in Milan, NYC and LA.
We are looking for Android engineers eager to produce the most evocative buying and selling experience possible.
- Design and implement new user-facing features in the Depop app
- Work closely with the design, product management and backend teams to ensure that new features are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Write unit tests and instrumentation tests and integrate them into our CI environment to ensure the quality of code going forward.
- Refactor existing code to leverage the latest developments in the Android framework.
- Optimise the performance of the app to ensure that we have a minimum memory, CPU and data footprint.
- Educate the Depop family on the engineering challenges faced when supporting a wide range of devices with varying screen sizes, orientations and densities.
- Maintain a healthy curiosity towards other Android apps and champion ideas on what we can do to make the Depop Android app better.
- Ensure that our localisation efforts support introduction to new countries.
- Help make our app support tablets and orientation changes properly in the future.
- Integration of new SDKs when required within the app.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 1+ years of Android and Java programming with the responsibility for shipping at least one well regarded Android application.
- Technical knowledge of mobile application development in Android with experience producing apps that feature a fast, consistent and non-blocking user experience.
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and multi-threading.
- Experience in consuming a RESTful API.
- Heavy utilisation of the Android support and design libraries.
- Understanding of the different components with the Google Play services libraries.
- Knowledge of image downloading and caching libraries such as Picasso or Glide.
- Understanding of Retrofit for ease of integration with Http requests.
- Continuous Integration and automated testing preferably using Espresso and JUnit.
- Use of the new data-binding framework, Android Architecture, Dagger and RxJava.
- Working knowledge of Kotlin
- Understanding of ProGuard and Gradle to ensure that our build tools deliver the correct result.
Now we're talking. We have stylish offices near Old Street (we were founded in Italy after all) and a relaxed atmosphere where you'll get to work with a well-funded, passionate and friendly team. There are perks of course, to name a few we have 25 days holiday, options to buy/sell more, apple discount, the regular snacks and drinks, parties, yoga, meditation, an enhanced UK pension scheme, beer and wine in the fridge (or sparkling water and celery if that's more your thing), special stuff on birthdays and life events and more. But the biggest perk of all is the opportunity to work with such a vibrant group of people building a product we deeply care about.